Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pan-Seared Chicken Breast with Mushroom Alfredo Pasta

Tonight I tried doing something a little different.  We’ve had a whole lot of beef the past week, so I was thinking that chicken would be a nice change of pace.  They also had some nice button mushrooms at the grocery store.  I also had quite a bit of parmesan cheese I needed to use that I had picked up at the store last week.  So I tried a pan-seared chicken breast with a mushroom Alfredo sauce and pasta.   

Alfredo Sauce has always held a special place in the heart.  The first time I made it, I made it for my parents’ anniversary.  I used shrimp, crawfish tails, and imitation crab meat, I created a dish that bore a resemblance to Seafood Alfredo that didn’t use a pre-made mix or a jar of sauce, and I was quite proud of myself.  Anytime I needed a make a “fancy” quick dinner I would turn to Seafood Alfredo.

When Reada and I started dating, on our 4th date she invited me to her house to cook for her.  I left early and went to HEB’s Central Market to shop for ingredients.  After wandering the store for the better part of an hour I decided on shrimp Alfredo and salad.  I went to her condo and begin preparing diner in her tiny kitchen.  The air conditioner wasn’t working very well and the heat from 2 burners and the oven being on was a bit much to take.  My forehead looked like a televangelist in the middle of a particularly powerful fire and brimstone style sermon.  I was dripping with sweat, I actually think I had soaked through my shirt in a couple of spots, but the sauce turned out to be quite tasty.  It also turned into the first of many meals that I would make for her. 

Pan-Seared Chicken Breast

2 Chicken breasts butterflied and cut in half
Olive oil
½ cup flour
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

Process:

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Heat olive oil in pan heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.




Blend flour and Italian Spices.


Dredge the chicken breast in flour place in hot pan and pan fry until golden brown.  Approx.  4 minutes per side.  


When finished, take it out of the oil, place it on a rack on top of a baking sheet and place in the oven to finish cooking (20 minutes),

Mushroom Alfredo Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium yellow onion – minced
4 cloves of garlic – minced
½ kilo mushrooms (Baby Bellas or Button)- sliced
½ cup white wine
¼ cup heavy cream
¾ cup whole milk
1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

Heat olive oil and butter in sauce pan over medium heat.


Add the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes.


Add the onions and garlic, sauté for 2 more minute


Add the white wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by ½


Add cream and milk and allow to simmer, then blend thoroughly and simmer for 5 additional minutes.










While the mixture is simmering blend the remaining butter and flour until it makes a nice paste.


Slowly add the parmesan cheese to the cream, wine and mushroom mixture.  Constantly whisk the sauce until most of it is incorporated into the sauce.  (There will still be a little cheese clumped to the whisk, this is normal and is nothing to worry about.)


Once the cheese is 75% incorporated add the butter and flour paste while continuing to whisk the sauce until it is smooth creamy mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


Serve with a pan seared chicken breast, pasta, garlic bread and a simple green salad. 



Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment